Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Being Prepared for Battle - The Helmet of Salvation


This is the fifth of six posts.


The Helmet of Salvation
"and take the helmet of salvation" (v17)

1 Thessalonians 5:8 says that this helmet is "the hope of salvation". It's our promised future salvation that is our head protection. I think even more specifically, it is the protection of our minds.

Our minds are where the battle rages day in and day out. It seems like everything in this world is fighting for a claim on my thoughts. From TV, to the internet, to the radio and beyond, my thoughts are being swayed by all of the eye candy that is put out there for me to dwell on. And when Satan wants to take me down, where does he strike? In my mind. He sits on my shoulder whispering temptations into my ear all day long. He knows that all he needs to do is get my mind off of the things in Phil 4:8 and I'll be useless.

So why is the hope of salvation my protection on that battle ground? Because when I keep my mind on my promised salvation, then my sinful thoughts are seen for what they really are; pointless and evil. And when my mind is dwelling on the glory of what it will be like to stand in the presence of my Savior, fully justified, sanctified and glorified, every other thought fades away and Satan has nothing greater to tempt me with.

The battle for my thought life can be won by focusing on and rejoicing in my salvation and the greatness of what Christ has done and will do for me.

1 comment:

  1. The battle for our thoughts is huge. I always have to refocus on the Word and constantly be "putting in" truth, otherwise all the other things I read and think can take over. I also have to be careful what I read and watch.

    I've been loving the bible verse songs (that I got for my kids!) lately. I think they may be blessing me more than them right now! :)

    Thanks for the thoughts Jen!

    ReplyDelete